Wednesday, September 30, 2009

They opened the gates today.





Have you ever had one of those days that you think that they opened the gates to the nut house, and then you've had one of those days you know darn well they did, lmao, well let me tell you, it's been one of those days. I fell like Batman standing outside the busted doors of Arkum Asylum. (I hope I spelled that right) Just craziness going on. Of course, I am use to chaos, but I sure do worry about my friends and loved ones when things like this happen.
But first, let's talk about the art I posted. Above is a new or up-dated version of Mr. Voodoo who quite by accident became my avatar on line a year of so ago. I never intended it for that reason, so I when back and polished it up a good bit over what it was. I know a lot of you want be able to tell the difference, but to the trained eye, there are a good many subtle changes. I also polished up my companies logo. Yes, I said Companies. Not only do I have a art studio, I am also partners with a good friend of mine Dave Byron (an awesome writer and editor in his own right) in a movie and publishing company. Yep, I am making movies and publishing books these days. This year we are working on 4 documentaries about the people who work in the horror industry. From movies to publishing. Next year we are hoping to make our first horror movie. We also are publishing "How to" books and anthology's this year, and next year hope to move into art books and novels. But we're taking this one step at a time. We got a heck of a send off from almost every major media company in the biz as well as tons of company's. Heck, I've even got a few invites to go to Hollywood to take a tour of different studios, and "have Lunch"
If you haven't yet, stop by the site and see what we have going on. It is here Sign up and be a member while your there and take part in things. We are going to have book and movie giveaways at some point, and if your a member of my fan site, (If not you can go here and sign on) The official one (I say official, because there is a second one here that is ran by fans and it is very large but it doesn't have the updates and giveaways, mostly because there are so many people there who speak so many languages, I have no idea on how to communicate with them all) , you will be eligible for winning original art and prints from me as well. I really have a lot going on art wise and I am revamping my whole Internet look as well. It's going to take a while to do all of it, simply because of my health and time, but I will get it all done. I will be starting on rebuilding the site very soon, like this week but a little at a time. I will let you know when I have something done and you might want to check it out. I also have another big name publication interview coming up this week as well. I'll share the details once that is up and done.
The above illustration is for the Darc Karnivale book. You can go here to the Evil Nerd Empire and start seeing all the cool things that they have going on. It looks like I am going to have a very long relationship with The Evil Nerd Empire. With my health issues, they work with me on deadlines, although I am way ahead of deadline on the Darc Karnivale project. But if need be, they care enough about my health and well being and working with Jeremy and Byron is like working with family and friends, and it sure has helped my career in big ways.
Speaking of my career, I am so thrilled with how well fans, publishers and the media have taken to me. I feel like no matter what you want to say about my life, I have done and succeeded at something I dreamed of and beat the odds. I almost feel like Rocky. I'm the guy that no one ever gave a chance because of my training and such, but life did smile on me and give me the things I needed to be successful and God, or whatever you believe in gave me the heart to not give up.
We know that things haven't gone quite the way I planned for them too, especially with me writing my book, but never fear, in each blog, at the very least I will give you tips that I have learned through the years and from my teachers. This is a good but simple one. Remember these simple rules. When drawing and painting men's hand, draw them larger than they truly are. Almost size and a half. This makes them look much more heroic. Do the same with their feet. Another rule is this, when drawing and painting men, it's what you show that counts. With women, it's what you don't show. For instance, a mans face has character because of the lines and scars, a woman's face is beautiful because of a lack of these things. Give them some thought. Trust me, do a portrait of a man, and draw all his wrinkles and such, then draw a woman the same. The man will pay you and be very happy, the woman will want you dead. For real.
Well, I haven't eaten in about 12 hours and I'm pretty tired. I got a lot done today, and I really don't want to talk about crazy people right now, so Good Night my friends. Much Love and Blessings!

3 comments:

Geo said...

you know nick thats why i have so much trouble with drawing woman, i put to much in there features....

Nick Rose said...

Keep it simple George. Just lines and no extra detail. No wrinkles, Even if your drawing a older woman, live out the wrinkles.

Geo said...

i have a hard trouble with the nose. i see alot of artist just slightly hit at the nostrils...