Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Among the living again.








Hello my friends. My apologizes for not posting sooner, but I have been down and out with the Flu. But I am back now, feeling good and stronger than ever. Now, I just have to get caught up on all the work I've fallen behind on, which includes the blog I promised on what it takes these days to be a professional illustrator. There was a time when just your drawing and painting skills could get you through, but not anymore. So, in the next blog, we will get started on that.
Above is an old painting that I am re-vamping for its re-issue. It is for a book called "Target Earth" Written by Gary Babb. This is the second book in a series of 3 books called "Earth is Ours" I did the original painting 4 years ago while I was training under Daniel. It was the last painting I did in Acrylic Paint, ( I moved to oils after this one.) and was painted on a canvas board.
Now, 4 years later, I am re-doing it in Corel Painter. So now comes the test to see what I truly have learned in those 4 years. It should be fun, and I will show it to you step by step. In the pictures above, I saved it about every 20 minutes to show you. One of the things I wanted to do was to make the "Simian" creature more ape-like in the leg area. So you can see as it goes, I keep trying different things to get what I am after. It is getting closer, but still not there just yet. The bad thing is that I know longer have the original reference pictures I used for the paintings, so I am winging it. But there are going to be more changes. Each time I post this, i will start with the original, so you can easily see the changes as we go.
I pulled out of the "Comic" cover I was telling you about. I really don't want to get into the reasons on here, but lets say I had questions about using copyrighted characters that I was being told was owned by this gentleman. He couldn't produce any proof that he owned them, and I don't want to get sued or ruin my name or reputation to make a few bucks, or for any reason for that matter. So, I bowed out. I do wish the gentleman the best of luck though.
I should be able to show you the cover to Mental Scars pretty soon. I just need to set the type and logo for it, and make sure Richard and Mischa release it on the Mental Scars site first.
Since we are going to be working on Gary Babb's book for a few blogs or so, check my old friend out at www.garywbabb.com I hear he's a good writer. His first book, "Earth is Ours" won best Sci-fi book of the year at a San Diego convention. That's pretty impressive if you ask me. Maybe one day I will read one of his books. lmao!!! (In his 4th book, he made me one of the main characters, just so I would read the book! Of course I am just a brain floating around in a jar of liquid. But somehow, I am the hero. I think I might have to read this one.)
So now my friends I have to get down to it and work some serious days to catch up. Thank you all for stopping by! Peace and Blessings!

No comments: